9 ratings, 9 reviews
Mun WaiJuly 2017
Make sure you have lots of time - it took about 3 hrs for the entire experience. Maybe grab a drink before as it took a while for our drinks to come out. Food was well prepared and had very interesting flavour combinations.
Staff very friendly, and ambience was lovely too.
There was a 2 man band playing live music, which was great fun.
I've been to a few Grub Club events over the past couple of years and this is my first review. I'm sorry to say that it's largely a negative one :(
Let's start with the good stuff: venue, location and the company of the other diners was great. As was the first real course of calamari, a ceviche salad (including banana / plantain which wasn't unpleasant!) and a filled taco.
Beyond that, however, this was a major disappointment for the following reasons:
1. The start time was 7.30 and it was stressed in the event description that we shouldn't be late. Despite this, we didn't get our first drink - a welcome Mojito - until after 8pm and the first food didn't arrive until 8.30-ish.
2. We were taken to a basement room for the event itself and there was very little light in there. We couldn't really see what we were eating and no-one told us about the dishes, their origin, their inspiration.
3. It's a pretty cramped space down there in the basement and the waiting staff were constantly having to push past chairs, from behind, to be able to get food / drinks to the table.
4. We had to ask for water - surely this is something that should just be ready to go?
5. The food was billed as a Cuban / Asian fusion and while the first course DID fit that description, the main of chicken / salmon and rice was basically roast chicken, baked salmon and fried rice.
6. Cost of the ticket: £48 per person. This event was worth about half of that if I'm being generous. Oh, and apparently, drinks were NOT included. After the welcome Mojito, you had to buy your own. No BYOB either.
7. The event was supposed to finish at 9.30. At 9.45 there was still no sign of the dessert so I had to leave without trying it.
For sure, there were some good elements to last night but overall, it was a huge let-down for me. Sorry.
Was great. One of the best ones I've been too.
Fantastic evening and a great concept. Being taken down to a hidden venue, an intimate setting and meeting all sorts of new people. Food was delicious and service on point, what a great evening.
Absolutely brilliant evening. I've been to the restaurant before so I had really high expectations and they really did not disappoint! Delicious food, cool entertainment and I loved the secret location. I've told my girlfriends that we're definitely coming to the next one :)
My first experience of Secret Supper Club and of St Martins Lane. The Chino-Latino food was fantastic! Very attentive hosts in a beautifully decorated secret room. I would definitely recommend!
Amazing night. The place was very unconventional and one wouldn't think this even existed! The live music was such a nice touch. The food left us amazed too. The mix of Asian and South American flavours works so well together: who would have known? The Salmon particularly is by itself a reason to return!
Was slightly too dark.. Been nice to see the food more.
This was such a wonderful set up and was my first time at an event like this. The space where we dined was absolutely beautiful, very well organised and hidden in a secret room which had a live band playing throughout dinner. Food was fantastic and plentiful and all of the other guests were so nice and friendly. Definitely highly recommended