11 ratings, 11 reviews
I was very disappointed by this Grub Club. As my third supper club experience, I was excited for the evening. Unfortunately we were let down, reasons below:
1. Food. It was not Michelin-star level as stated; most courses were very average. Two courses were really lovely. The ingredients were repeated over and over, only 3 courses out of the 7 had meat or substance (the other 4 were a baked slice of vegetable with cream). The worst part was that one course was simply a quarter of a cabbage, served up as a huge slice, with a cream sauce.
2. Money. This was by far the most expensive supper club I've been to, despite serving the same amount of (if not less) food at a lower quality. We paid for the wine menu, so £88 per person. The wines were nice, but not representative of the price we paid. The ingredients, as I said in 1. were repeated. The cream sauce from courses 2, 4, 5 was the same. The jerusalem artichoke in course 6 was reused for the dessert (course 7). Course 1 was fish, Course 3 was minced beef, and Course 6 venison - although the amount of venison was very little. Every other course was vegetables - 2 = chunk of cauliflower, 4 = half a shallot, 5 = a quarter of a cabbage (all served with cream) and vegetable ice cream for dessert. It really felt as though the businessman got the better of the evening.
3. Hosting. Jonas was unfortunately let down by his waitress, which meant he wasn't able to take part in any conversation during the evening. We didn't receive any storytelling except for the first course; food was served and Jonas would get back to cooking or head outside for a cigarette. We also weren't greeted upon arriving; we waited in the entrance for an introduction or a welcome. When we realised this wasn’t going to happen, we asked if we should take a seat to which he replied 'sure, if you want'. After the dessert was served and all was done, Jonas did not come into the room to say goodbye or chat to the group, so we were unsure if he was busy cooking a final course or if the night was in fact over. He said goodbye from the kitchen as we left.
4. Ambience. We were all around a big square table which got in the way of talking to other people, limiting conversations to direct neighbours. Music stopped in the middle of the evening and was not reset. The location, a cafe in Hampstead, was freezing cold and unable to warm up. Despite big blankets, we were shivering.
5. Time. It was a long evening; we arrived at 8pm and left straight after dessert at 11.30pm.
I'm rating this experience according to what was advertised, what we paid for and what was delivered. I hope that Jonas carefully considers our feedback and looks to improve his evening. Our thoughts are that the night should be better advertised or better delivered - ie. either the price reduces and advertises itself as casual supper club grub (no storytelling or expectations of Michelin stars), or each course should be perfected and introduced by a strong story. In both events, guests should be welcomed warmly.
A group of 7 of us went at the end of January and had a great evening. Jonas and his sister were great hosts and we met some interesting people. The food was yummy!! Beautifully prepared and Jonas explained each dish as it came. First time we have booked anything through GrubClub but certainly will do so again!
Food and wine were exceptional, company was wonderful and wer were truly spoiled by Jonas and his sister Emilie. Great experience and definitely worth the money. Would recommend it to anyone and already have done to several friends!
We had a really entertaining evening with delicious original Nordic dishes, a very good selection of wines and great company. Jonas and his sister made us feel at home making for a perfect start to the weekend and an evening to remember.
It was a lovely evening with a series of dishes, based in northern customs, that presented to us a mix of: well-combined flavors, nicely paired wines, a historical background to every plate (very appreciated), and an unsuspected surprising taste to the palate. Chef Jonas is really good and the overall experience was exquisite.
Such a lovely evening with a 'perfect' number of guests. Portions of delicious and inventive food were 5*, Jonas nailed the paired wines as well. He is a very talented chef and sings too! He had great information and passion on his choices. Thank you. Definitely rallied to save the last minute change of location, and a replacement of sorts to his 'right wing' wife - who I am sure would have been a huge help had she been here with us. Lacked the pace you would expect, but we were having so much fun. I'm with Miranda, a little bread and an extra glass would've been nice given how patient we were.
Amazing experience - had never occurred to me that common ingredients can have a magnificent taste like that - if prepared and combined with mastery!
Delicious and unusual food - would definitely recommend. A very fun evening with a great group of people.
We had our Christmas party with Jonas and the whole evening was spectacular. The wines were all so unusual and delicious, and worked so well with each dish. My favourite was the 'abandoned campsite' but each was as memorable and delicious as the last. I was the only vegetarian in the group and the substitutions were great. Couldn't recommend enough
MATR matters! We have been a group of 9 and had a fantastic evening: The food was excellent. It was innovative, experimental but never failed to get the approval by all of us. The wine pairing was generous and stunning too. It contained two of the best wines I had all year. And last but not least Jonas is simply a really nice guy. We'd like to wish him all the very best for his future culinary adventures.
The wine selection was accurate and matching with the related served dishes. Well done.